Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Loss

Recently I have had a few friends that have lost loved ones. Although I was not close to those that passed away, I cannot help but think how I will someday inevitably lose a loved one. I played the piano for a funeral a few weeks ago and inside the written program was a poem. I have heard it before but it hit me harder this time for some reason. I hope the friends I am close to will be comforted now at their time of need. It is such times that I am grateful for the knowledge of the gospel and that families really are forever!

FAMILIES CAN BE TOGETHER FOREVER

A ship sails and I stand watching till she fades on the horizon and someone at my side says

She is gone.

Gone where? Gone from my sight, that is all. She is just as large now as when I last saw her.Her diminished size and total loss from my sight is in me, not in her.

And just at that moment, when someone at my side says she is gone, there are others who are watching her coming over their horizon and other voices take up a glad shout -There she comes!

That is what dying is.
A horizon and just the limit of our sight.

Lift us up O Lord, that we may see further.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Families are truly forever. When I lost my brother almost 4 years ago- I had to trust in the Lord more than I ever had before. Our loved ones are closer then we can imagine. Those that we love can be the ones that help us daily. I just wanted to add my testimony to yours. I know that Families can be forever.

Janine said...

I just attended a funeral yesterday, and this is the same poem they read for the woman they were celebrating. I love poems like these.